Business Process Optimization Workshop
Accelerate the improvement and effectiveness of an internal process or workstream
The Business Process Optimization Workshop is an accelerator for organizations that wish to improve the effectiveness of an internal process or workstream. This one day workshop is a facilitated session wherein stakeholders representing the end-to-end process come together to gain an understanding of how things work today and then ideate on what a new or ideal state could be.
The workshop often starts with mapping the existing process. This allows stakeholders to understand the end-to-end and is often eye-opening as people usually are not completely familiar with parts of the process they are not involved in. From there the team uses various practices to identify roadblocks, handoffs, queues, and other inefficiencies in the existing process. Next, we map a new, ideal scenario. This leads to a roadmap for improvement opportunities. Finally, we frame next steps and create an attainable roadmap for process improvement. You’ll leave with a common understanding of the present, the future, and a plan for moving forward with continuous improvement.
By the end of the workshop you will have:
- A visualization of a new, ideal process
- A plan of next steps for socializing and implementing that process
Available formats for this course
Duration1 day/8 hours of instruction
Public Classroom Pricing
Part 1: Intro & Overview
- Discuss goals for this initiative and why we are here
- Align to intended outcomes
Part 2: Visualize Existing Process and Current Challenges
- Existing process mapping
- Sketch end-to-end
- ID data sources, needs, and flow through the process
- ID data integrity issues, bottlenecks, and duplication of steps in the existing workflow
Part 3: Design Target Definition
- Discussion of design targets, their needs, and things we need to verify
- Who are the players in the existing process?
- Who benefits from the value/outcomes of this process?
- How is the current process serving them well/not serving them well?
- How can we improve from their perspective?
- Pragmatic persona development (if applicable)
Part 4: Image a Better Process
- Sketch ideal process (imagine the future) and/or identify journeys; data sources/flow/etc.
- Sequence “journeys” or areas of opportunity
- Align to priorities
Part 5: Collaborative Framing for Process Improvement Initiative
- Leverage the collaborative framing technique to accomplish the following for the process improvement initiative:
- Align to a common understanding of what we are doing, why we are doing it, and who we are doing it for
- Construct a light-weight business case for investing in this change
- Agree to a starting increment (say 1 month or 3 months of time) and chart a path for showing value quickly
- Identify next steps, goals & success measures, constraints, etc.
The ideal audience for this workshop is the smallest, reasonable group of people that can speak about each stage in the business process being optimized. These should be people who participate in the process, understanding the intricacies of the area they represent. We recommend small groups for this workshop.
- Align to a common understanding of existing process
- Define data needs and data sources
- Identify existing blockers, queues, handoffs, and other opportunities for improvement
- Visualize a new, more ideal process that addresses existing challenges
- Create a roadmap which implements the new process