Ready to Coach - Dojo Academy: Self Guided
Enhance your coaching skills and knowledge with this Self Guided program!
Dojos are an effective and exciting new approach to building high-performing teams in an immersive learning setting. Success with a dojo depends on a few key factors, one of the most important is the quality of coaching a team receives. This course accelerates coaches starting their dojo journey by going deep on the concepts and tools created and refined by an originator of the dojo model, David Laribee, at several large-scale dojo programs with dozens of coaches and hundreds of teams.
Prospective coaches will learn the dojo model, gaining proficiency in coaching a team through their immersive learning journey. We’ll cover working as a team with other coaches, mastering the core set of plays one needs to facilitate the team experience, and building or adapting new plays for different types of dojos.
Our “Ready to Coach - Dojo Academy: Self Guided” course is a self-guided program. This program requires an estimated 15-20 hours of commitment over the duration of the course.
Available formats for this course
Public Classroom Pricing
Starting at: $3000(USD)
GSA Price: $2190
Group Rate: $2750
Part 1 – Welcome to the Dojo
- What’s a dojo?
- Why do dojos work?
- Dojos in the Industry
- Dojo Principles
- Getting the Most from this Course
Part 2 – Coaching in the Dojo
- The Dojo Coach’s Mindset
- Traits of Successful Dojo Coaches
- Key Coaching Activities
- Types of Coaches
- The Rewards & Challenges of Dojo Coaching
- Managing Work-in-progress & Sustainable Pace
Part 3 – The Dojo Experience Walkthrough
- Lead Generation
- The 6-week Challenge
- Post-challenge Support
Part 4 – Introducing the Dojo Coach’s Playbook
- The Challenge Playbook
- Designing Your Own Playbooks
- Good Practices for Playbooks
Part 5 – Consulting with Challenge Teams
- Now / Not Yet Decisions
Part 6 – Coaching a Team in their Challenge
- Discovery & Mapping
- Exit & Post-dojo Support
Part 7 – Coaching as a Team
- Organizing Tools & Events
- Team-based Coaching
- Onboarding Coaches
- Partnering with Leaders
- Managers, leads, and other team-influential roles looking to elevate their coaching game or considering a dojo experience for their team(s).
- Current dojo coaches who want to round out their toolkit and polish their practice.
- Practicing coaches (Agile/Lean, Scrum Master, Technical, DevOps) seeking to understand the dojo model on a deeper level and refine their general coaching toolkit.
- People wishing to influence lasting change in their organization – PMO, transformation office, etc.
- Anyone considering a dojo for their group or organization.
- Understand the terminology and components of the dojo.
- Use the dojo coach’s mindset – principles, traits, modes of engagement, and the coaching behaviors that lead to successful coaching engagements.
- Interact fluently with the stages of dojo team experience: onboarding, framing, discovery, iteration, exit, and post-dojo support.
- Enhance your coaching skills by asking powerful questions at the right time, joining and contributing to dojo initiatives, developing mini-workshops & custom playbooks, and building shared visual representations of a team’s workflow, product architecture, and deployment pipelines.
- Work with leadership to cultivate support, leverage feedback, and build situational awareness of dojo progress.
- Interact with the facilitation playbook common to dojo challenges – chartering, planning, mob programming, sharing, reflection, and more.
- Adapt the dojo model to different organizational needs (DevOps, software engineering, project-to-product).