Ready to Coach - Dojo Academy
Enhance your coaching skills with this mentor guided program!
Dojos are an effective and exciting new approach to building high-performing teams in an immersive learning setting. Success with a dojo depends on a few key factors, one of the most important is the quality of coaching a team receives. This course accelerates coaches starting their dojo journey by going deep on the concepts and tools created and refined by an originator of the dojo model, David Laribee, at several large-scale dojo programs with dozens of coaches and hundreds of teams.
Prospective coaches will learn the dojo model, gaining proficiency in coaching a team through their immersive learning journey. We’ll cover working as a team with other coaches, mastering the core set of plays one needs to facilitate the team experience, and building or adapting new plays for different types of dojos.
Our “Ready to Coach” course is a mentor-guided program with a small cohort of five-to-eight student coaches mentored by an experienced dojo coach. This intensive five-week program requires an estimated 30-40 hours of commitment over the duration of the course. Each week students will take approximately 3-5 hours of self-paced eLearning in addition to 3 hours of group coaching sessions.
Beyond instructional videos and group sessions, attendees get the tools and access they need for success in the dojo.
- Access to our online community of working coaches and fellow students on Slack.
- 80+ Page Coach’s Playbook PDF - Containing dozens of plays, checklists, facilitation guides, resource bundles, etc.
- Digital whiteboard templates for framing, dojo team organization, playbook examples, new playbook design, and more.
- Invitations to exclusive events such as webinars and coach mixers.
- Ongoing access to course content for 1-year.
- Two 1:1 coaching sessions with your instructor, David Laribee.
- Blockchain-backed certification, configured for sharing on LinkedIn.
- A welcome kit of special tools and provisions.
Duration7 days/40 hours of instruction
Public Classroom Pricing
Group Rate: $5750
Private Group Pricing
Have a group of 5 or more students? Request special pricing for private group training today.
Download the Course Brochure
Part 1 – Welcome to the Dojo
- What’s a dojo?
- Why do dojos work?
- Dojos in the Industry
- Dojo Principles
- Getting the Most from this Course
Part 2 – Coaching in the Dojo
- The Dojo Coach’s Mindset
- Traits of Successful Dojo Coaches
- Key Coaching Activities
- Types of Coaches
- The Rewards & Challenges of Dojo Coaching
- Managing Work-in-progress & Sustainable Pace
Part 3 – The Dojo Experience Walkthrough
- Lead Generation
- The 6-week Challenge
- Post-challenge Support
Part 4 – Introducing the Dojo Coach’s Playbook
- The Challenge Playbook
- Designing Your Own Playbooks
- Good Practices for Playbooks
Part 5 – Consulting with Challenge Teams
- Now / Not Yet Decisions
Part 6 – Coaching a Team in their Challenge
- Discovery & Mapping
- Exit & Post-dojo Support
Part 7 – Coaching as a Team
- Organizing Tools & Events
- Team-based Coaching
- Onboarding Coaches
- Partnering with Leaders
- Managers, leads, and other team-influential roles looking to elevate their coaching game or considering a dojo experience for their team(s).
- Current dojo coaches who want to round out their toolkit and polish their practice.
- Practicing coaches (Agile/Lean, Scrum Master, Technical, DevOps) seeking to understand the dojo model on a deeper level and refine their general coaching toolkit.
- People wishing to influence lasting change in their organization – PMO, transformation office, etc.
- Anyone considering a dojo for their group or organization.
- Understand the terminology and components of the dojo.
- Use the dojo coach’s mindset – principles, traits, modes of engagement, and the coaching behaviors that lead to successful coaching engagements.
- Interact fluently with the stages of dojo team experience: onboarding, framing, discovery, iteration, exit, and post-dojo support.
- Enhance your coaching skills by asking powerful questions at the right time, joining and contributing to dojo initiatives, developing mini-workshops & custom playbooks, and building shared visual representations of a team’s workflow, product architecture, and deployment pipelines.
- Work with leadership to cultivate support, leverage feedback, and build situational awareness of dojo progress.
- Interact with the facilitation playbook common to dojo challenges – chartering, planning, mob programming, sharing, reflection, and more.
- Adapt the dojo model to different organizational needs (DevOps, software engineering, project-to-product).
Reviews of our Ready to Coach - Dojo Academy Course
It was great getting to see and hear other coaches' tips and techniques...learning how other coaches approach things like playbook creation.
I gained a lot of understanding about the operations side of dojos...and learned many discovery techniques I had never heard of.
I love the emphasis on sharing between coaches...every coach brings unique talents and perspectives. I also gained an understanding of the extraordinary importance of setting leadership expectations.