Project Management Professional
(PMP) ® Certification FAQ:
The everything you need to know guide – About the Application Process and Exam Prep InformationWe’ve put together some general information about the requirements of the PMP as well as a few basic steps to help you understand what needs to be completed to apply for the PMP. We offer PMP Exam Preparation courses that guarantee you pass or your money back! You earn the required 35 contact hours (more information below), learn the PMBOK ®Guide , take practice exams, and apply the concepts with real world case studies.
6 Easy steps to earn your PMP Certification
1. Review the PMP HandbookWe recommend downloading and reviewing the PMI PMP Handbook. You can also Register for free on the PMI Website for more information.
2.Verify EligibilityThere are specific education, experience, and project management study prerequisites that must be met to qualify for the PMP. See below to learn more about the requirements.
3.Take a PMP Prep ClassTaking a prep class ensures that you have the required 35 Professional Development Units (PDUs)/ Contact hours. A cPrime Training Center PMP Exam Preparation course teaches you the PMBOK ®Guide framework so that you are ready to take the test at the end of the 4 day course.
4. Submit PMP Application Form :The application form should be completed on the PMI website and once completed a test date can be scheduled. Learn moreabout the online PMP Application process below.
5. Sign-up for a PMP Exam DateSchedule a date for the PMP Exam after your application has been approved. Learn more about the exam below.
6. Pass the TestYou’ve now earned your PMP!(Now go ask your boss for a pay raise or update your resume and put “PMP” next to your name to get that job you always wanted!)
PMP Eligibility Requirement/PrerequisitesTo qualify for the PMP you’ll need to meet the following eligibility requirements/prerequisites:
Candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree
- 3 Years/36 months of consecutive Project Management experience
- 4500 hours of Project Management Experience- All hours must have been attained within 8 years of date of application
- 35 Professional Development Units (PDUs)
Candidates without a Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 Years/60 months of consecutive Project Management experience
- 7500 hours of Project Management Experience – All hours must have been attained within 8 years of date of application
- 35 Professional Development Units (PDUs)
3 Years/36 months or 5 Years/60 months of consecutive Project Management ExperienceThis requirement will require you to document your cumulative, non-overlapping project management experience. Through the application process (below), you will document your project experience to verify this requirement. With a Bachelors degree, you will need 3 years/36 months of consecutive Project Management experience. Without a Bachelors degree, you will need 5 years/60 months of Project Management experience
4500 hours or 7500 hours of Project Management ExperienceThe PMI will verify your experience leading or directing project tasks for each phase of a project (as defined in the PMBOK ®Guide ). If you worked on multiple projects simultaneously, the hours of each project would count towards the required hour total. Overlapping experience counts in this section.
35 Professional Development Units (PDU) or Contact HoursTo meet this requirement you will need at least 35 verifiable hours of learning that address project management objectives. Hours can be earned studying project, quality, project scope, project schedule, project budget, project communications, project risk, project procurement, or project integration management. All PDU’s/contact hours must be completed BEFORE you submit your application. One Professional Development Unit (PDU)/Contact Hour is equal to 60 minutes of training or instruction received. PDUs/Contact Hours can be earned from PMI Registered Education Providers like cPrime Training Center. Our PMP Exam Preparation course provides all 35 PDUs needed to meet this requirement. Find a convenient course near you. PMI chapter meetings or self-directed learning do not count towards satisfying PDU/Contact Hour requirements.
PMP Application DetailsAfter registering with the PMI Website you’ll need to enter your information to verify that you meet the PMP eligibility requirements/prerequisites above. Once submitted, most applications are reviewed and approved within 5 business days. The PMP application has a number of sections. Most sections are self-explanatory but a couple sections require more attention.
1. Contact Address – Basic contact information
2. Contact Email and Phone – Preferred email and phone contact information
3. Attained Education – Submit information about highest level of education attained
4. Requirements – Submit information about highest level of education attained. You must meet the PMP prerequisites listed in the PMI PMP Handbook. Learn more about the prerequisites here
- Overview – Summary of PMP Requirements
- Worksheet – Summary of Qualified PM Experience Months, PM Experience Hours, and PM Education Hours. This information is pulled from your PM Experience and PM Education information below
- PM Experience – This is the main section to qualify your experience for the
- Candidate provides the Project Title, Date, Total Hours, and Direct Role for each project submitted. You will need to submit enough projects to qualify for 36 months of non-overlapping project management experience and the total project hours based on education level attained.
- PM Education – List completed project management education information
- Candidate provides the Course Title, Institution name (must be a PMI REP!), Course start date, Course end date, Total hours, and Qualifying hours for each educational activity. You will need to submit enough projects to qualify for 36 months of non-overlapping project management experience and the total project hours based on education level attained.
- Please note – you will need to earn your PDUs BEFORE you apply for the PMP. cPrime Training Center is a proud Educational Provider and provides PDUs for every course.
5. Optional Information – Referral and if you’ve taken a PMP Preparation course presented by the PMI
6. Certificate – Enter your name as you would like it on your PMP Certificate
7. Agreement – Review and accept the PMI Certification Application/Renewal Agreement
8. Review & Submit- Review the summary of each section and verify that you meet the qualifications.