Building Microsoft Power BI Dashboards
Quickly learn to use Power BI for impactful data visualization, reporting, and communication.
Data visualization is a critical component of any data practice. The ability to sort through data for meaningful insights is only as useful as your ability to communicate those insights – quickly and easily. Teammates, decision-makers, and colleagues need to understand the story your data is telling, and effective visualization is the key.
Power BI comes with a wealth of features for effectively visualizing information and insights. This fast-paced workshop assumes no previous experience with Power BI. Our expert instructors get you up and running in one day so you return to work immediately capable of applying what you learn. Starting with a few fundamentals, you will leave class equipped with a core set of skills for using PowerBI to visualize and communicate your data and the stories it tells.
Duration1 day/8 hours of instruction
Public Classroom Pricing
Starting at: $695(USD)
GSA Price: $507.35
Group Rate: $595
Private Group Pricing
Have a group of 5 or more students? Request special pricing for private group training today.
Part 1: What is BI?
We’ll start out by covering business intelligence basics to lay the groundwork for an intelligent approach to reporting and visualizing data.
- Business Intelligence Overview
- Common Challenges
- Benefits of Power BI
Part 2: Getting started with Power BI
Power BI is an extensive toolbox for working with and analyzing data. We’ll cover the fundamentals of the service, how Power BI’s features are organized, and immediately orient towards dashboards and visualization.
- Overview & Pricing/Licensing
- Components of Power BI
- Building Blocks of Power BI
- Quick Tour of Power BI Service
Part 3: Building simple reports
Reports are the first step in graphically communicating information related to your data. In this section of the class, you’ll learn to use and navigate the types of datasets you encounter every day, and how to use them to begin shaping meaningful communication.
- Importing excel data
- Using preexisting datasets
- Creating visualizations
- Using slicers
Part 4: Dashboards
In this section, we’ll cover how to create and use dashboards for common needs. By the end of this section, you’ll understand what’s realistic to expect from your PowerBI dashboards and how to set them up, share them, and produce valuable insights with your team quickly.
- Dashboard expectations vs. features
- Using KPI
- Create and Configure a Dashboard
- Shared Dashboards with your Organization
- Pinning visuals
Part 5: Exploring data
In this final section of class, we’ll get a bit more granular about navigating, analyzing and communicating about your data. By the time we conclude, you’ll be ready to start applying what you’ve learned in your own real-world situations.
- Use Quick Insights
- Display Visuals and Tiles Full-Screen
- Edit Tile Details
- Get More Space on Your Dashboard
- Ask Questions of your Data with Natural Language
- Advanced Navigation
This class only requires access to Power BI; no previous experience is required. The course will immediately benefit:
- Team leaders and functional managers
- Team members with access to data
- Anyone wanting to do more with a PowerBI license
- Business analysts
- Project and program managers
- Those getting started with analytics
In this class, you will learn how to:
- Develop an intelligent, useful approach to using your data
- Quickly and effectively communicate about data
- Manage expectations related to your data
- Navigate and use all PowerBI’s basic visualization features
- Import and use datasets in various formats
- Set up and visualize KPIs
- Build and share dashboards with others in your organization
- Build and share useful reports
- Use natural language queries to explore your data
- Get hands-on practice building our own Power BI interfaces