The Power of the Product Owner
Combine presentation and interactive experiences to shift from project to product thinking and understand product ownership
This one-day product owner training course dives into all things product owner by helping current and future PO’s understand their significant place within agile product teams. Participants gain an understanding how product management, discovery, and validation practices fuel product success and agility. They also learn strategies for leading teams from this position of influence versus authority.
Unlike traditional training, this course challenges participants to listen, practice, and even question these methods. Our instructors use real-life experiences to help explain both successes and failures they have seen while working as product owners and product coaches.
Available formats for this course
Duration1 day/8 hours of instruction
Public Classroom Pricing
Starting at: $795(USD)
GSA Price: $685
Group Rate: $695
Get the full details on this course. Download the .PDF Brochure below:
Part 1: Product Journey – Where are we going?
1.From project to product
2.The concept of “product ownership”
3.Product roadmaps – Who? What? Why
- Balancing competing interests
- Charting a course for “Product Agility”
Part 2: The Role of the Product Owner
1.Before agile… after agile…
2.How do you build great PO’s?
- Technical skills
- Soft skills
- Flavors of PO’s
3.The order taker dilemma
4.Building balanced PO teams
5.Working with other players on the product team
Part 3: Blending Product Discovery and Delivery
1.Roadmap -> Backlog -> Work Item
2.Early discovery – When? Why? How?
- Release cadence
- From concept to journeys
- What? Why? How?
- Sprint cadence
- From journeys to stories and tests
- “How big?” to “Too big?”
4.Want more from your team? Build a better backlog
- Incremental investment, measuring impact, and adjusting
5.How much involvement is too much or too little?
This course is designed for people working in product roles and those interested in learning more about how those roles work in agile product teams. While not necessary, people who take this course find it helpful to take Adopting and Adapting Agile or have an equal level of agile experience.
Professionals who benefit from taking this course include:
- Product Owners
- Product Managers
- Business Analysts
- Technical Product Managers
- User Experience Designers
- Scrum Masters
- Shift from project- to product-thinking and understand the concept of “product ownership”
- Chart a roadmap for your product that fuels incremental investment, validation, and learning versus “just getting work done”
- Create a cadence for blended discovery and delivery which fuels continuous product learning; understand tactically how this is done versus being told to “just write stories”
- Understand the product owner’s place within a product team and how he/she contributes to product success
- Learn some “do’s” and “don’t’s” of being a PO through examples of real-life successes and failures