Agile Portfolio and Program Management (ICP-DAS)
In this Agile Portfolio and Program Management training course you will learn how to get work to flow from ideas to working software fast. IT practitioners have long known the importance of aligning efforts with business strategy but have approached it with an annual cadence of strategic planning and project selection. In today’s fast-changing world this is just too slow. Agile has brought an approach to doing work that can respond quickly to change, but at the higher levels of the organization we are frequently not aligning with the Agile approach of delivery and we are still focusing on delivering large releases of products rather than moving to the Minimal Viable Product or Minimal Marketable Feature releases advocated by the Agile approach.
In this class you will learn how to rethink your Portfolio Management and Program Management approaches to maximize the value produced by your Agile efforts. The class will subsequently look at the subject of scaling and will review at a high level some approaches to scaling Agile within your organization.
This course meets the requirements for the ICP-DAS designation (ICAgile Certified Professional in Delivery at Scale).
"The course was good. We learned a lot of new things and it reinforced other areas we had not been exposed to in the past. Mark did a great job. He has a great mix of traditional project management experience and Agile knowledge." - J. Ranieri
"Good elaborations on how lean management can tie into Agile, Program and Portfolio Management. [The instructor] is very knowledgeable on the subject presented and could dive into details easily to address questions or clarifications from the team." - H. Kambil
"The training met my objective of gaining insights into Agile Portfolio Management that would allow me to undertake my own discovery based on the points of reference provided. Excellent training from an instructor who encouraged and listened closely to class discussions to drive through fundamental points of reference applicable to the subject at hand." - M. Grant
Available formats for this course
Duration2 days/16 hours of instruction
4 Leadership PDUs
4 Strategy PDUs
6 Technical PDUs
6 ACP PDUs
6 PFMP PDUs
Public Classroom Pricing
Starting at: $1295(USD)
GSA Price: $1185
Group Rate: $1195
Get the full details on this course. Download the .PDF Brochure below:
- Introduction – Agile Mindset preview
- What is Portfolio and Program Management
- Strategic Alignment
- Lean Thinking
- Customer Defines Value
- Ideas/Concepts/Realities that are driving the world
- Speed of Change
- Lean Startup
- Adaptive Planning
- Five Levels of Planning
- Geodesic Planning – the shortest path to results
- Map the Value Stream
- A Process that delivers Value to the Customer
- Continuous Flow
- Pull not Push
- Strive for Perfection
- Eliminate Waste
- A System designed to produce the right results
- The right paradigms and mental models
- Transition into Building a System
- The Agile Paradigm
- The Agile Team – A System
- Systems Thinking – Seeing the Whole
- Creating a System that produces desired results
- Agile Practices – part of the System
- Summary of the Paradigm Change
- The Agile Game – might end up as begin of day 2
- Agile Program Management – Building a Business Value Generator
- Vision – What is our Value Proposition
- The Ideation Process
- Getting Ideas that will produce Value to the Customer
- Ethnographic Research
- Effective Communication
- The User – Roles and Personas
- The A3 Process of Problem Solving
- Making Investment Decision
- Time – Execution
- Scaling Agile above the Team to the Enterprise
- Waves of Agile
- Scaling Methodologies
- Similar Organizational Structures
- SAFe – Digging Deeper into Scaling to provide Program Management
- The Idea Funnel
- Review Process
- Analysis Queue
- Release Planning (PI Planning)
- The Iteration Calendar
- Coordination –
- Scrum of Scrums
- PO Sync
- Release Management
- The Definition of Done
- Transforming your organization
- John Kotter path to Change
- Getting to a re-wiring – Culture is Anchored
- Project Managers
- IT Manager/Directors
- Software Engineers
- Software Architects
- Business Customers
- Understand Agile Portfolio and Program Management principles and practices that will transform an organizations ability to get ideas to the development engine Just-In-Time to maximize value and efficiency.
- Gain insights into the reasons for a lean process of continuous adaptive planning that responds quickly to the changing market forces.
- Survey the several different approaches to scaling and explore the considerations that change the Agile approach at scale.
- Learn the impact that higher level management can have on the Team Level Agile process and the importance of changing leadership style to maximize the benefits of Agile.
- Using one scaling approach we will examine some specific details of things that can be done at scale to facilitate Agile planning and execution at Scale.
- Discuss the steps to cultivating an Agile Culture within an organization and making decisions related to leadership style and scaling approaches within the context of the organization.
Although there is not an ICAgile official exam, ICAgile allows for their course accreditors to determine appropriate means for retention of the learning outcomes. Depending on your provider, there may be some type of assessment in order to earn certification.
Many providers assess via participation, activity and understanding conveyed via exercises and discussion, withholding certification when appropriate.