ChatGPT Prompt Engineering Primer
In four hours, get a fast-paced introduction to the many use cases and fundamental concepts of LLM tools like ChatGPT and Bing chat. Guided by an expert, you will explore ChatGPT and return to work ready to use it.
Get started with OpenAI’s ChatGPT version 4 in this quick hands-on half-day session. An expert AI chatbot instructor will provide tips, tricks and examples on how to get the most out of this generative AI tool. You will have the opportunity to experiment, to see what others in the class were able to do, and to identify multiple ways you can use this chatbot in your own work and life.
This fast-paced, exciting introduction to generative AI and Large Language Models (LLMs) will equip you to return to work with endless use cases to leverage the power of ChatGPT for all kinds of work. This session will also equip executives and leaders to ideate and understand how their teams can use generative AI tools like ChatGPT to save time and money right away. You will leave this short session armed with practical ability with ChatGPT and references that will enable you to grow your abilities.
This ChatGPT training session is centered on hands-on application, and participants will spend most of the class practicing what they learn in "show and tell" breakouts in which they apply the concepts of LLM usage to practical examples. Guided by an expert, teams will develop rapid understanding of what the tool is good at, what it's not good at, and how it can assist their daily work.
Duration1 day/4 hours of instruction
Public Classroom Pricing
GSA Price: $328.5
Group Rate: $400
Private Group Pricing
Have a group of 5 or more students? Request special pricing for private group training today.
Part 1: ChatGPT Basics & Underlying Concepts
We begin by spending just a little time describing ChatGPT and defining relevant terminology to set the stage for learning. The Q&A allows learners to quickly confirm their understandings so we can get to the fun and interesting part, using this tool.
- Types of GPTs (Chat & others)
- The role of data (and your company’s data)
- What ChatGPT is good at (and not good at)
- Who can use ChatGPT (and for what)?
Part 2: Interacting with ChatGPT
Most of our time in this short course is spent interacting with ChatGPT. Each of the sub-sections below introduces a specific usage mode, and includes:
- Show and Tell – Learners share and discuss their experiences with that usage mode with each other and get feedback from the instructor.
- Play-time – Learners are allowed time to try their hand with that usage mode on their own, and
- Examples – The instructor shows multiple examples of that usage mode,
Converse with ChatGPT
We start with the most basic interactions with ChatGPT:
- Ask questions
- Use chained prompts (and break chains when needed)
- Use strong and weak verbs in prompts.
- With Examples, Play-time, Show and Tell
Prompt ChatGPT to tailor its response
ChatGPT’s responses will sometimes not meet your needs. They may be too long and verbose, too short and cryptic, or not laid out in a useful way. So, we will look at various ways to ask it to provide or restate its response in more appropriate ways.
- Summarize long responses
- Expand on short responses
- Format responses (e.g., bulleted or numbered lists, headings, etc.)
- Provide an example of content & format you want it to respond with
Prompt ChatGPT to use appropriate roles
We will look at how to focus ChatGPT’s interactions with you based on role definitions.
- Provide responses appropriate for a particular role or audience
- Provide responses appropriate to a channel (e.g. social media)
- Play a role in how it responds
- Role-play with you
Prompting ChatGPT to respond with questions
ChatGPT can do more than just answer questions. We will look at how to prompt it to ask questions as well.
- Prompt it to provide questions (e.g. for an interview)
- Prompt it to ask clarifying questions before responding
Providing data to ChatGPT
The free public version of ChatGPT cannot access data. So, we will look at ways you can provide it with the data you want it to use in its responses.
- Loading the prompt with data
- Providing data in multiple prompts for a single response
- With Examples, Play-time, Show and Tell
Part 3: Advanced Use Cases & Interactions
Connecting ChatGPT to other applications
We will explore a variety of tools that can be used to connect applications to the paid version of ChatGPT.
- Plug-ins for commercial applications (e.g. Excel) to use ChatGPT
- ChatGPT’s API for writing your own plug-ins or adding ChatGPT capabilities to your company’s applications
Making data available to ChatGPT
We will explore a variety of ways to enable ChatGPT to use other data.
- Plug-ins for ChatGPT to access external data sources (e.g. Wikipedia)
- Tools to feed large data sets into ChatGPT’s prompts
- Using a private LLM (Large Language Model) to enable ChatGPT to use specialized language and terminology
- Grounding ChatGPT on your company’s data
Part 4: Class wrap-up and Q&A
All professionals would benefit from this training. There is no need for a technical background or any knowledge of AI.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Define ChatGPT and other Gen AI-related terms
- Identify ways to use ChatGPT
- Converse effectively with ChatGPT
- Refine ChatGPT’s responses
- Use ChatGPT in creative ways
- List potential uses of GPTs and LLMs that are relevant to you
- Plan your personal & team strategy for using Generative AI