SAFe for Teams
Our two-day SAFe for Teams course goes well beyond Scrum. It teaches Lean thinking tools, roles, processes, and the software engineering practices necessary to achieve the code quality you need to scale Scrum to your enterprise business context. The course is intended for new teams in an enterprise agile adoption program or can be used to re-baseline existing Scrum teams as required for scaling.
The course consists of lecture, experiential activities, and exercises to begin building actual team backlogs in preparation for the agile transformation. By the end of the course, teams will be ready for their first program-level release planning meeting, part of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) Agile Release Train (ART).
The course begins with the principles of scaling: Lean thinking tools, Agile development practices at scale, and an overview of the Scaled Agile Framework.
Following this, teams learn the best practices for building quality software in a timebox.
SAFe for Teams Course Objectives:
By the end of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Form their teams (Scrum Masters, Product Owners, and developers/testers) in an enterprise context by understanding the team, program, and enterprise roles; operating under enterprise governance; and applying lean and agile principles
- Operate within timeboxes to incrementally build and deliver high quality software
- Continuously improve their team and the program through the application of lean principles and agile practices at scale
- Build higher quality enterprise software faster through the application of agile software engineering practices
- Work effectively with Product and Program Management as part of an Agile Release Train to deliver complex enterprise solutions
- Fully catered lunches with vegetarian/vegan options!
2 days, from 9:00am to 5:00pm daily
None to attend training
For SAFe Practitioner (SP) Certification – Software developers, testers, Scrum Masters, Product Owners, project managers, product managers, and other practitioners involved in software development
For participants of an Agile Release Train Quickstart Program – New agile teams and existing agile teams requiring a common baseline for scaling
Registrants who fail to cancel at least 10 business days prior to the class start date are subject to payment of the full registration fee. Registrants who cancel or roll into another class more than 10 days before the class start date are not subject to any fee. If registrants request to roll into another class within 10 days of the course start date, they are subject to a $150 course change fee.
- Team Structure:High performing agile teams, the Scrum Master role, and the Product Owner role. At scale, teams, Scrum Masters, and Product Owners have additional responsibilities and challenges.
- Building Backlogs
Writing user stories and other backlog items, sizing and prioritizing using lean economics via Weighted Shortest Job First, writing acceptance criteria, and building acceptance tests. At scale, team backlogs are part of the enterprise backlog model for integrating with the program and portfolio.
- Sprint Execution
Planning, backlog grooming, tracking, demoing, and continuous improvement. At scale, these include team-level and program-level ceremonies and events.
- Software Engineer Practices
Strategies to avoid “waterfalling” a sprint, TDD, ATTD, automated testing, and continuous integration. At scale, technology and practices must also facilitate distributed development.
- Launching the Agile Release Train (ART)
Preparation for the first program-level Release Planning Meeting.
Certification & Prerequisits:
For SAFe Practitioner (SP) Certification
For participants of an Agile Release Train Quickstart Program
The SAFe Practitioner certification program is for software developers, testers, project managers, product managers, and other practitioners involved in software development. It validates their knowledge in applying SAFe ScrumXP (Scrum, Lean, and XP inspired practices) in an enterprise context so that they can prepare for the adoption of the Scaled Agile Framework at the team and program levels.
- 1+ years of experience in software development, testing, business analysis, product or project management
- Attend the 2-day SAFe ScrumXP course
- Pass the SP exam (retakes are $50 and can be taken 90 days or more after the previous exam)
- SP Content Kit (pdf material for non-revenue generating use)
- SP Branding Kit (certification mark, material co-branding, etc.)
Certified SPC directory listing (optional)
- Annual renewal is from the date of certification
- Renewal fee: $50